The air is getting chilly and winter is almost officially upon us. Time to check off the following winter home maintenance projects:
- Have your furnace professionally checked and serviced and be sure to clean or replace the furnace filter on forced air systems.
- To guard against drafts and heat loss, add weather stripping around doors and caulking around windows.
- Inspect the insulation in your attic and crawlspace. Seal areas around the attic hatch, plumbing vents and recessed lighting.
- If you don’t have double-paned windows, remove the screens and install storm windows. Inexpensive plastic-film sheet kits will suffice for a single season.
- Protect exposed pipes in the attic, basement, crawlspaces, garage and outside areas.
- Remove leaves and debris from gutters to allow rain and melting snow to properly drain. Be sure that downspouts are directing water away from the foundation.
- Trim trees and shrubs away from the house and remove any dead branches that could potentially cause damage during wind, rain and snow storms.
Have a safe and cozy winter!
Posted on December 2, 2016 at 2:41 am Tamara Stangeby